PlayStation 3 80GB Right now

Thursday, February 4, 2010 by Migo | Posted in , , , , ,


I bought this a few weeks ago. It's my second PS3. I have the older 40GB equivalent of this unit also.

Why 2 ps3's? I have two TV's that I would like my kids to play games, watch my home movies, go to YouTube and watch blu-ray movies. There isn't anything else that can all these things (Outside of a pc with a blu-ray drive that would cost much more and take a long time to setup).

I converted all my home videos to mpeg, put them in the shared video folder on my vista pc and the ps3 will play them on my tv's. It works great. I have newer high definition home videos and older standard definition ones and they all play fine. Except the HD videos sometimes stutter when using a wifi connection. I ran an ethernet cable from one of my ps3's to the router for faster speed.

The ps3 is a fantastic flexible device that should cost about twice what it does. It's a fantastic bargain.

As far as only having 2 usb ports. Is it possible to buy a 4 port usb device for $20 or so and plug it into one of the ports? Like I did on an old pc of mine.

The lack of a card reader isn't a big deal. I bought a transcend 8GB SDHC card that comes with a usb reader/writer. I just plug the card in that and plug the device in the usb port. Works fine. The reader added like $2 to the cost.

My only real gripe is the unit doesn't stream DTS-MA and TrueHD. It decodes the formats internally though, so it still works. I would like the option of letting my stereo receiver decode them. Hopefully Sony will offer a firmware upgrade that allows this.Get more detail about PlayStation 3 80GB.

No Responses to "PlayStation 3 80GB Right now"

Leave a Reply