Save PlayStation 3 80GB

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 by Migo | Posted in , , , , ,


To start, I'll mention that I own all three consoles- an Xbox 360 Pro (20GB), the PlayStation 3, and a Nintendo Wii. I like all 3 of them. The last addition was the PS3.

I received this as a gift for Christmas.

I think the console is a great piece of hardware, and overall, I love it.

What I think is great about the console:
-Controllers. The controllers are lighter, rumble capable, and motion sensitive (vs. the 360). They come with rechargeable batteries and have great range. The R2/L2 buttons have improved design (trigger style) over the PS2.
-Hardware. The PS3 doesn't have a huge power brick and is much quieter than my 360. While I've been through 7 Xboxes (first died within 30 days of getting it), I have had no issues whatsoever with the PS3. Bluetooth is great and wireless is convenient, a feature Microsoft charges $100 for. Capacitive "buttons" on the console looks sleek. The included hard drive is great. Sony also trusts you to put in your own, larger capacity hard drive, a convenience that doesn't tie you to any HD manufacturer and doesn't void your warranty.
-Blu-Ray. Now that it's won the format war, the PS3 is a smart buy for Blu-Ray alone. Yes, they're starting to come out with $200 Blu-Ray players. I've never had a profile or firmware issue with any Blu-Ray disk on my PS3, it has 1080P HDMI, ethernet AND wireless for BD live, and storage space for enhanced features. Oh, and it doesn't take a long time to boot like some Blu-Ray players. I could be satisfied with my PS3 purchase for just this feature alone.
-Software. Love Sony or hate them, Sony has some great exclusives on the PS3. MGS4 and Ratchet & Clank are particularly great.
-PlayStation Network is free, store is easy to use.

What are my gripes?
-Xbox Live may be a paid service, but it's also much more fully featured. I've never seen a cheater on Xbox Live since 360 launch, while I've seen numerous instances on the PSN. Xbox Live is also much better integrated throughout the console (you can have a party on one game, decide to switch to another, and not lose anything). Sony will get closer over time, but Xbox Live is a far superior service. I would pay an equal amount to get a similarly developed online service on the PS3.
-Why does almost every game require some sort of install? MGS4 is particularly annoying about this, with installs in between each chapter (these installs are shorter but still annoying) and it quickly eats up your hard drive space.
-An infared port costs almost nothing, is the same black as the console, and requires very little standby power. Sony's decision to not include one is mind boggling. Sure, the Blu-Ray remote works great (Bluetooth), but a lot of people (myself included) can't use a universal remote. Even if you get an adapter (USB to Infared), the PS3 doesn't power the USB ports in standby, so there is no way to turn the console on with the remote (you have to leave a DualShock on, wasting the batteries).
-Speaking of no power for USB in standby, this is another mind boggling thing for me. Why can I only charge my controllers while the console is ON? I'm often tethered to the console due to a need to charge. Some 3rd party accessories can solve this- I bought the PlayStation 3 Charge Base 2 from Nyko- and it works well, charging the controllers quickly and leaving them looking neat- but buying a 3rd party accessory shouldn't be necessary.
-Why isn't the Blu-Ray remote included with the console if the ability to play Blu-Ray disks is such a big selling point?
-The PS3 only comes with a composite (yellow/white/red), non-HD connector. Why isn't an HDMI cable included? Monoprice.com sells the cables for cheap, but unless you order it before the PS3, you won't have it in time, and for the $10 it costs to give buyers an HD cable in the box...the Xbox 360 includes component AND HDMI cables in the box, so Sony doesn't have a valid excuse in my book.
-The controllers are nice, but the nonremovable battery limits your ability to swap in a spare or even replace the battery as it wears out.

Overall, I love the console. I have some criticism, but I think the purchase was very much worth it.

Random tips?
-Get the Charge Base I mentioned earlier. It works well and is faster and more convenient than using the USB cables.
-Check with your credit card issuers. Gold Mastercards, Visa Signature cards, and almost all American Express cards come with free extended warranty service. Mastercard & Visa will double the Sony warranty to 2 years, and Amex will do so as well. If you're wondering if you have it, call your card issuer and ask if you have this benefit. American Express also offers accidental damage coverage- up to $1,000 per incident, max $50,000 per year for accidental damage, loss, or theft- for NO CHARGE. Just save your receipt with the statement, and if it breaks after the first year, you call the card issuer.
-Get a good surge protector. Save the receipt in the box. Almost all good surge protectors come with a lifetime guarantee. If the console dies due to a surge, they will pay the cost or give you a new replacement console. Put all the reciepts for any connected equpiment in the box too. I bought a $10 Belkin 7 outlet protector- $75,000 equipment guarantee.
-Buy Blu-Ray disks online (especially from Amazon), it's MUCH cheaper than buying them at retail stores.Get more detail about PlayStation 3 80GB.

No Responses to "Save PlayStation 3 80GB"

Leave a Reply