PlayStation 3 80GB Best Quality

Saturday, October 3, 2009 by Migo | Posted in , , , , ,


I won't speak too much about the specs and graphics. I'm assuming if you're considering a PS3, you're not going to be reading reviews to learn about those things from here anyway. I'm instead going to speak more to my experience with the PS3.

I bought my PS3 following my puirchase of an HDTV, fully intent on using it as a blu-ray player first, and a gaming system second. I already owned a Wii at the time, and that was barely getting any play-time since the novelty had worn off. Thus no one is more surprised than I am at how much I actually enjoy gaming on it. A bit of a preface: I grew up with the NES (who didn't?!), skipped a few generations, bought the Gamecube, played that on a limited basis, jumped to the Wii, and got bored of that really fast. Never owned the PS1, PS2, or either Xbox consoles. I love movies though and although expensive, the PS3 was the best choice for a blu-ray player to accompany my new TV. Now, I find myself playing games much more regularly than I anticipated.

Games that I own (in order of hours played): Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Resistance, Buzz TV Quiz, Sing Star, Heavenly Sword, Motor Storm 2: Pacific Rift, COD5, Mirror's Edge, Bad Company, GT 5 Prologue. Games that I have but haven't gotten to because I'm addicted to R2 and KZ2: MGS4, Lair, Uncharted, Dead Space, Stranglehold. Games on my wishlist: God of War III, Uncharted 2 (which means I need to finish the first!). I suppose I should mention FFXIII too, but I never was that big of a FF fan, wasn't a PS1 or PS2 owner, remember? The breadth of games is very impressive. Although I've found myself on First-person shooters more, I still enjoy the other games as well. A quick blurb on games below:

FPS: I am a PC gamer by habit.. well, I should say was, since my desktop is now fairly old. But I used to scoff at the thought of playing a FPS on a console. How do you aim and turn without a mouse?! Frankly, I've learned a new appreciation for slower, more tactical FPS rather than the twitchy Quake/Unreal-esque "I'm gonna jump around with my rocket launcher and blow you up in 2 seconds" style shooter. Now, it's all about squad combat, look-before-you-leap, firefights across realistic-feeling battlefields.

Party games: Buzz TV Quiz is great. Allows 8 local players and even lets you can create your own questions. Sing Star is awesome and has even allowed us to save on not hitting up the karaoke bar as often (a huge savings in my book!). Little Big Planet is a great platformer. Camera issues make 4 players hard, but it's still a lot of fun. Whacking people in the head gives off an especially satisfying ring :D.

Racing games: Motor Storm 2: Pacific Rift is great, allows you to race different types of vehicles at the same time. GT5 Prologue, most realistic racing game in terms of physicias and graphics... will the full version come out already!?

Sports games: NHL 09. Funny story, I was playing this at a party when someone came in and only after 10 minutes realized we were in fact PLAYING a game and not watching a game. Speaks to the realism and graphics. MLB09: The Show. Not usually into baseball games, takes too long in my mind... But

Casual Games: Flower on the PSN and PS Home is great too. Checked out the new ESPN zone I heard about yesterday and played some Texas Hold'em versus a few players. Definitely has a lot of potential, and best of all, it's all FREE!

One quick note about PSN also: As more of my friends are getting PS3s, we're getting more fun out of playing versus one another online. Setting up games is pretty easy, varying slightly by game. The PS3 is definitely meant to be played with a network connection, however, and you'll be missing out on a lot of features of the PS3 and the games for it without the online experience. If you don't already have high-speed internet, I'd highly recommend getting it.

If you're considering buying a blu-ray player, I would suggest taking the plunge and getting the PS3... that is unless you don't want your free time suddenly occupied since you WILL enjoy playing the games on it. Being able to play blu-ray movies was my initial reason for buying the system, but as my movies vs PS3 games purchase ration will show you (1 to ~12), it's become much more to me than that.Get more detail about PlayStation 3 80GB.

No Responses to "PlayStation 3 80GB Best Quality"

Leave a Reply