PlayStation 3 80GB Right now

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 by Migo | Posted in , , , , ,


I saved up for a while, 10 months, and bought the 80 gb MGS4 system when it was more readily available. This system replaced my broken dvd player as well as being a game console.
--For playing standard DVDs, it does a great job of up-converting, at least to my eyes. I have some really old movies like the The Thing (b/w) with James Arness and Once Upon a Time in the West. They looked great when played using the PS3. I have only purchased 3 Blu-ray dvd movies so far (I wait for them to go on sale). To state the obvious, they look spectacular. I don't have a 1080p tv, I have a 1080i/720p tv (more affordable). The movies play at 1080i and are still stunning to my human eyes.
--For playing games, of course the games are amazing. The colors and picture are beyond vivid. It is almost mesmerizing. So much so that there are games you would almost rather watch than play. The games I have were picked up on sale at Amazon when they run good deals and I have saved a lot being patient that way. I have downloaded a couple of games and those have also been great/good. One was better than the other but the value just cannot be topped. For example, those were $[...] each. You can purchase a wide variety of games for download. Almost anything to suit your tastes, especially if you are from the 8-bit days.
Additionally you can download and/or rent movies, tv shows, watch movie trailers. There is a lot you can do with the system. My version plays my old PS1 games I managed to hang onto over the years and it has the PS2 emulator in it so I can play those. I should mention, I think I prefer playing those on the PS2 anyway (I wish I hadn't given it away sometimes).
Other pluses:
--Bluetooth - you can use any bluetooth headset with it, don't have to buy the special one. You can also pair up a bluetooth keyboard.
--Wireless built in - you don't have to additionally purchase an add-on. Bearing in mind I love ALL CONSOLES, everyone should stop thinking the XBox 360 is cheaper if you must go wireless. It ends up costing more once you purchase the wireless adapter.
--Hard drive is replaceable with affordable, internal drive. There are instructions available on-line about how to do it. Compared to the direct competitor, Sony is allowing the consumer to purchase a very affordable standard internal hard drive vs a proprietary solution.
--Built in internet browser. Has some limitations and using a keyboard with it would help. The HD YouTube PS3 site indicated using the PS3 to look at the videos clips is not permitted. At some point, I think that may change as the entire business model of cable and internet continue on the inevitable paradigm shift that is coming.
--Plays music
--Plays a slideshow of your pictures
All in all, it has been a good purchase. I also have the XBox 360 (birthday gift) and I feel like there are a lot of great things about it too. But it has an issue that always makes me nervous - RROD (red ring of death). Internet is replete with stories of gamers who are on their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc.... console replacement.
---Bottom line: It was worth saving up for. You can research what the system offers using the internet. The money that was spent on cable tv can be spent on other forms of entertainment like movies and games and isn't a fixed monthly bill to worry about. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

**06-22-09 Forgot to mention, currently online play is free of charge. No annual or monthly fee to utilize multiplayer.Get more detail about PlayStation 3 80GB.

No Responses to "PlayStation 3 80GB Right now"

Leave a Reply